Sunday, January 18, 2015

As Good As I Once Was...

Toby Keith said it best,
"I ain't as good as I once was.
I got a few years on me now.
There was a time, back in my prime,
When I could really lay it down."

 How true those words are. For the past few weeks I've been coaching basketball. Although that may sound fun. After all I am a recovering basketball junkie being a former college basketball player and all.

Watching my freshmen basketball players play, I've always felt that they were going half speed and needed a swift kick. Now they are moving pretty well. They now even shock me with how they compete. Basically, they can meet my expectations. Well this past Saturday I decided to play with them. But little did I realize, they are I shape and I am far from it.

Toby Keith also sung,
I used to be hell on wheels,
Back when I was younger man.
Now my body says, "You can't do this boy."
But my pride says, "Oh, yes you can."

After losing 3 sprints and almost losing a one on one match up to a freshmen in high school, I've decided that it is time to get back into shape. Today was Day 1 of Insanity. I won't have myself losing to high school kids. Especially high school kids who have yet to show they are ready to play in college. Many of them may end up playing in college but they should not be able to beat me in a game of 1 on 1, even if it is full court.

All I know is I am need to dominate the whole practice if I decide to play with them. I should be ashamed when I go up the court 3 times and then find away to stop and talk so that I can rest before the hallway mark of a 5 minute drill. Pretty brutal. No wonder the kids always want to get water and I never let them, it must be because they are tired.

Shaun T, don't let me down. I have a lot riding on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment