Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Final Game

The final game of the season came, went and is now done and over with. I am in a Sherman mood. Not because the season is over, no, not because of that. I was Shermanized (please click to see the pain and anguish I felt over the 35 seconds it took for my team to blow the lead). 
We lost to a team who had already beaten us. Although the team out performed us down the stretch when it really mattered, I thought we had grown enough as a team to over come some of the obstacles that the other team threw up against us.

What made it worse was the coach, players, and fans from the opposing players seemed so smug before, during and after the game. Jumping around in the huddle, snide looks and rude comments before the game started. And finally, the opposing coach comes in to the gym and tells the refs to start the game before I even got there. Seriously, I've got enough reasons to be upset and I've got even more excuses to give as to why my team didn't win. But at the end of the day, when you lose, you've got to give all the credit to the other team.

They deserved to be smug, too. With 2:01 left on the game clock and the opposing team down by 6, on the road, playing in a dumpy gym and my team had the lead for the entire game, the other team came back to win by 5. They caused turnovers, they forced my team back into their shells and proved who should win the game. Lastly, they backed up all the hooplah that has followed them all season.  They finished the season as the only unbeaten team.

Who cares how close they came to almost losing? They sure don't. After all, almost only matters in Horseshoes and with hand grenades.

What has got me feeling Sherman is the way we finished. I know that no one wants to lose their last game of the season. In fact, my basketball career ended on a loss. What a horrible way to go out! I can say that from experience. With that being said, I thought as a team we grew and that is what matters over the course of a season.

It is just too bad that I will have a brand new group of kids next year. 100% turnover is what I've got to deal with since I am only a freshmen coach. This was the year to go undefeated, or will it be next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment